what is happening here?
this was a rant about the joys of blackboard - but Hindi got in the way, and its lost, lost, lost, but then that is also part of the life online....
my frustration was palpable, and I deserted the activity
I frequently want to post but things get in the way - the fabric has rips in it
lets have a list of those rips....
- I can't get online
- I can get online but then the line gets dropped
- I get online but feel that the post is stupid because its not very professional
- I get online but something goes weird with what I am doing, and because I work in zillions of different environments I don't get to sort out/work out how the problem has been caused...
- they may or may not get online - if you lead an orderly life you may be online more than if your life is chaotic, the life of many students is chaotic.
- they want to get online, but find they are fighting for space, and having had that demoralising expience once or twice give up
- when they do their work they have emotions about it....
- they have places they hang out, virtually and actually, they like to hang out where they are comfortable
- hightly motivated, rushed, don't understand it, angry because they don't understand it, demotivated because they don't understand it, frightened because they feel stupid
- its the tool of the devil (evil vibes)
- it forces me to do things in ways which I don't feel comfortable with (bad mooder)
- it forces me to do things in ways which are just plain inefficient (time eater)
- I use many different environments and the cognitive load to master that on top of the others is not what I choose to exercise (load toad)
- it orders information in such a way that I cannot provide links to the information (links jinx)
- it costs the university vast amounts of money - which I would like to spend in other ways
- it costs the university vast amounts of money - when there are open source alternatives
- its embodied paradigm of 'learning' is constraining - and does not fit the model which I choose to use with my students
- it is culturally alien to our education system - vocabulary does not match ours
- sometimes it is not there (imagine a lecture theatre which disappeared from time to time!